Pack your suitcases, round up the kids and finalise your passports! The holiday season is here and it’s time to break free from the typical mundane family trip to experience something truly magical. This year, let’s create some lifelong memories through venturing overseas and experiencing a world of culture, imagination and adventure. Here are five family-friendly holiday destinations that are perfect for creating an unforgettable family holiday.
1. Lapland. When thinking about going on holiday around the Christmas season, this is the perfect destination! Not only will your kids get the opportunity to visit Santa Claus, but there are also the snowmobile safaris, reindeer petting, and the incredible Northern Lights, which once seen, are never forgotten.
2. Peru. For younger children, they will be enthralled and fascinated to know this is the birthplace of Paddington Bear. However, there are also all kinds of wildlife in this beautiful country, with the lush rainforests showcasing the best nature has to offer in their natural habitats. Your kids can also live out their Indiana Jones fantasies with a G Adventures Inca trail to Machu Picchu, with the lost cities and incredible ruins helping you all quench your thirst for adventure.
3. The Galapagos Islands. Considered one of the most famous places in the world for anybody with a love for wildlife, tropical beaches, dense rainforests, and underwater kingdoms. Prepare for a world of excitement as you are brought up close and personal with some of nature’s greatest wildlife. Going to the zoo is great, but you haven’t lived until you have scuba dived with sea turtles, or sunbathed on the beach with the friendly sea lions.
4. California. Some of the best family attractions in the world are based in California, a magical place that will excite the entire family. Disneyland is one of the most popular theme parks in the world, with some incredible rides and experiences that can form a bucket list itinerary by themselves. However, there is also the world famous Seaworld in San Diego for anybody who didn’t get to the Galapagos Islands, as well as Legoland in Carlsbad which offers a more laid-back experience than Mickey Mouse’s world of adventure.
5. New Zealand. The perfect place for your little hobbits! You can visit some of the locations used in the Lord of the Ring movies and actually book yourself a stay in one of the Hobbit homes. You can also visit the Weta workshop in Wellington and get an in-depth look at how movie magic was made. Still, there is more to the country than Bilbo Baggins, as you should also gaze in awe at the Glowworm Caves in Waitomo, and hold your noses at the stink holes at Lake Rotorua. Don’t let that last mention put you off, as the place itself is absolutely beautiful.
So, there are five ideas for your family bucket list. If you have any further ideas, be sure to let us know! Thanks for reading.
*This is a collaborative post and may contain affiliate links